Worship- 8:15, 10:45 a.m.
Word & Service- 9:30 a.m.
Sudanese Worship- 1:00 p.m.
Not many Norwegian families were in Austin in 1867, but the ones that were here longed for a place to worship where the Sacraments would be given them in the language they understood. Austin was divided into neighborhoods where people of the same background settled. "Der Norske Byen" or "The Norwegian Town" consisted of 4th Street NW, 8th Place NW to 3rd Ave NW. Meetings would be held wherever they could find room, sometimes in homes or in the small lobby of the American Hotel, but most often in the court room or the courthouse (which was then located at the corner of Main Street and 2nd Ave. NW). Through personal sacrifice of those early Norwegian settlers, they purchased a small wooden church building from the Methodist Church for $1,500 and moved it to the spot the church still stands on.
The minutes from that first meeting on October 28, 1867 were written in Norwegian. They are translated to read:
"At seven O'clock on Monday evening the 28th of October 1867, a group of Norwegians met at the home of Nils Johnson for the purpose of organizing a Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran congregation.
As its chairman the Rev. C.L. Clausen addressed the group, after which the following rules and regulations were unanimously adopted.
In the Name of Our Lord
We, the undersigned members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church who are at the present time living in, or in the vicinity of Austin, Mower County, have agreed to unite in organizing a Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation based on the following fundamental principles.
We accept God's Holy Word as recorded in the Old and in the New Testament as the only true foundation upon which to establish our church. For the interpretation of the Holy Scripture we will use the Nicene Creed, the Augsburg Confession and Luther's Catechism."